Friday, September 19, 2008

Moving to a dedicated server

And we're getting ready to move to a dedicated server.

I took this call, since I did not want to have to move the website when it is drawing crowds. It will increase our monthly costs, but I'm willing to take that cost in. Afterall, this is our primary link with our customers, and we want it to be a good quality one.

The vendor I went with, is softlayer, and so far, I'm happy with their services. I went ahead with a plesk control panel, and it is doing the job just right. It was not too difficult to pickup. I initally thought I'll avoid a control panel, and try configuring right at the operating system level - but I realized I was spending too much time in trying to administer the website. My recommendation - go ahead with a control panel such as plesk or CPanel.

likebucks will be moving to its dedicated server on the coming monday. Exciting.

No comments: